SHOOTERS'
FORUM


FORUM MEMBERS: GO to http://forum.AccurateShooter.com/. Log in with SAME User Name and SAME Password.

THIS FORUM HAS MOVED!!
GO to Forum.AccurateShooter.com

THIS FORUM is NOT ACTIVE. POSTING and THREAD CREATION are halted.

You can read all posts on NEW FORUM: Forum.AccurateShooter.com

 |  New Posts
 
 
 


Reply
 
Author Comment
 
CatShooter
Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecr
Here is a good article on it:
http://www.longrangehunting.com/articles/reticle-perpendicularity.php

I endorse it because this method takes you to testing elevation tracking.


That may well be one of the worst article I have ever read on setting up a scope - Darrel is a good gunsmith, but he knows little about scopes.



.
dmoran
Reply with quote  #10 
Catshooter --

You being the EXPERT.....give us the complete skinny to scope leveling.
So far what you've wrote, is only badgering others, and some bad reading itself.
<> Enlighten us, with your expertise....!!!!

Happy Shooting
Donovan Moran
CatShooter
Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoran
Catshooter --

You being the EXPERT.....give us the complete skinny to scope leveling.
So far what you've wrote, is only badgering others, and some bad reading itself.
<> Enlighten us, with your expertise....!!!!

Happy Shooting
Donovan Moran


Gee, Donovan, you sound a little testy this morning - wazza matter, did him not get his coffee this morning.

I have not badgered anyone - I just said that a BS article was "BS"

Darrel is an OK gunsmith - on that famous scale of 1 to 10, he's probably in the ~8-ish range, which is not a bad thing.

But Darrel has discovered that there's more money in selling stuff than working on stuff... so he now has his own line of scopes Along with that line and the expected "expertise", but Darrel doesn't have it.

Darrel is not the only one to do this - Tubb has his own line of police tactical sniper gear...
... he was never a police officer, (much less a "tactical sniper"), but, hey, what the hell, it sounds good so it sells.

I thought the purpose of these sites was to get to "da' trut" in stuff, and not to just pass around BS.

If I asked a question and was referred to the thread that was bogus, I'd be happy to learn that is was bogus.

I will go write somfin and "Enlighten" you with "da trut"


"I'll be back"!!



.
dmoran
Reply with quote  #12 
Cool!!! I'll be sipping on coffee waiting for your expertise enlightenment.....

Donovan
FALPhil
Reply with quote  #13 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatShooter
Darrel is not the only one to do this - Tubb has his own line of police tactical sniper gear...
... he was never a police officer, (much less a "tactical sniper"), but, hey, what the hell, it sounds good so it sells.

All that is true, but there are a couple of other factors in the Tubb equation, to wit:

(a) you don't have to be particularly adept at shooting to be police officer, even a police sniper, and
(b) you don't see many police snipers (if any) that shoot as well as Tubb under any kind of conditions.

Therefore, I don't begrudge David any business with regards to a "tactical" line.
CatShooter
Reply with quote  #14 
Quote:
Originally Posted by FALPhil
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatShooter
Darrel is not the only one to do this - Tubb has his own line of police tactical sniper gear...
... he was never a police officer, (much less a "tactical sniper"), but, hey, what the hell, it sounds good so it sells.

All that is true, but there are a couple of other factors in the Tubb equation, to wit:

(a) you don't have to be particularly adept at shooting to be police officer, even a police sniper, and
(b) you don't see many police snipers (if any) that shoot as well as Tubb under any kind of conditions.

Therefore, I don't begrudge David any business with regards to a "tactical" line.


But the stuff that Tubb is "designing" is not shooting equipment... it is CLOTHING and turn out kit???

I begrudge him cashing in on his name when he uses it to sell stuff he has never used, to people that have their buns on the line.


.
FALPhil
Reply with quote  #15 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatShooter

But the stuff that Tubb is "designing" is not shooting equipment... it is CLOTHING and turn out kit???

I begrudge him cashing in on his name when he uses it to sell stuff he has never used, to people that have their buns on the line.

The only Tubb products I own are a couple of recoil lugs and Mauser 98 firing pin. Neither one are "tactical". Tubb sells a "tactical" version of the Tubb 2000, and some kit, like a shooting vest, that he hangs the word "tactical" on it.

The real issue is what is in a word. I'm not flaming you here because I respect you and you are very gracious with sharing your knowledge, and I have benefited from it. So please take this in that spirit.

You sound like you have some ire over the use of the word "tactical", almost like there is a select group out there who are the only ones that know what the true meaning is. Tactics are just planned responses to contextual events. Therefore "tactical" as an adjective merely means that the subject could be of service in a planned response to a contextual event. There is no secret knowledge, experiential knowledge, or voodoo, or whatever involved. But there is planning and supporting the plan involved.

If your point is that the term "tactical" is overused, I whole heartedly agree. It has to be one of the most overused marketing terms in sporting goods history. It has assumed connotations with regards to military and paramilitary applications, which is quite possibly a misuse of language.

David Tubb is a very smart individual. He is entirely capable of examining different kinds of scenarios and coming up with a planned response to that scenario and equipment designs that support that response. Keep in mind that it was very smart individuals who had never traveled in space that put men on the moon. Their "tactics" were not minimized by the fact that they had never put their butts on the line. (I know, its apples and oranges to an extent, but I just finished reading a book on space travel).

Anyway, his products have utility, or they would not sell, whether he uses them or not. As for cashing in on his name, well, in a quasi-free market economy, every little bit helps. And I didn't mean to hijack this thread. Really. I am, however, a big fan of David Tubb, and I wish I could shoot as good as he does.
CatShooter
Reply with quote  #16 
Fal...

I have no issues with the word "tactical"... I have issues with people that use their name that was estblished in one area, to sell stuff in other areas - including using their name to "validate" the "stuff".

http://www.davidtubb.com/vest.html

David says, "Not all the shooting I do, or thought, effort, and research I put into shooting, is strictly competitive in nature. I have gained proficiency in tactical-type rifle use. This was a natural outgrowth in work I did in development of the TUBB 2000t (tactical), as well as other products I have designed for use by the professional marksman.".

HA! David got his experence riding in a police car for one day.

David sells abrasive bullets to "improve" your barrel and claims to use them on "all" of his rifles, including his top of the line match rifles... ask any barrel maker what they think of abrasive bullets used to improve their barrel.

Rem calls one of the low line SPS rifles "tactical"... I don't give a crap - no police department is going to buy it - but knowing how civilian purchasing agencies do their buying, I think it sucks to take advantage of police for a buck - I can't speak to your town or state, but in my state the Tactical guys go out on a limb, cuz we have our equivalents to East LA and the South Bronx - and they DO shoot fairly well, and they DO get shot... and as a tax payer, I pay for the stuff they buy, and I would rather see them using Blackhawk or some other "bonafide" police supplier with 30 years in the police field, that make reputable stuff, than quick marketed stuff by Tubb and his friends.

Just my opinion... He'd sell bad food to Somalians, and not even blink on the way to the bank.

Back to writin'.


.
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:


You Can Help Support 6mmBR.com by Making a Small, Secure Donation.

Daily Shooter's Bulletin



Sponsored Searches Help Support this Forum

Powered by Website Toolbox - Create a Website Forum Hosting, Guestbook Hosting, or Website Chat Room for your website.